Monday, January 14, 2013

Review: Sudden Independants

Title: Sudden Independents

Author: Ted Hill

Rating: 2 stars

The blurb:
Jimmy never thought he’d be spending the apocalypse farming in Nebraska and worrying about Hunter. But when the plague killed their parents, along with everyone over the age of seventeen, Jimmy suddenly became head of the household.

Then the oldest kid in town turned eighteen and the plague chased him down. Now Jimmy has one more thing to worry about—and he’s running out of time.

Hunter finds a little girl named Catherine under a cottonwood tree in the middle of nowhere. When Catherine magically heals Hunter’s broken arm, Jimmy hopes he will survive his eighteenth birthday if he can protect her from the horseman responsible for unleashing the plague.



Review:
This book started out with some very small potential, towards the end however, it took a nosedive.

First of all this book wasn't written well. I felt like it was written by a high school student. Second of all this book also had a very religious theme to it. There are some books out there that have wonderful subtle religious themes, this book was extremely obvious in it's religious propaganda. And third of all this book was very male dominated. The female characters were weak and disappointing. I prefer the female characters I read about to be empowered and strong.

There are some parts of the book that I didn't hate; such as the character Jimmy, he was mature and kind, and I really liked that about him. He was really the only character I liked in the book though. The rest of them are annoying and immature, especially Jimmy's brother Hunter.

This is a really short review simply because there just isn't much to say other than I really hated this book. I really like the dystopian genre so I was really sad that this book was such a disappointment. This is all just my opinion though so if you do want to try reading it then you should, I just wouldn't personally recommend it.

1 comment:

  1. I'm sorry to hear this one disappointed you, it sounds like it would be a rather interesting plot. I personally don't like super religious plots or weak female characters either.

    ReplyDelete