Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Review: Feed

Title: Feed

Author: Mira Grant

Rating: 5 stars

The blurb:
The year was 2014. We had cured cancer. We had beat the common cold. But in doing so we created something new, something terrible that no one could stop. The infection spread, virus blocks taking over bodies and minds with one, unstoppable command: FEED.

NOW, twenty years after the Rising, Georgia and Shaun Mason are on the trail of the biggest story of their lives-the dark conspiracy behind the infected. The truth will out, even if it kills them.

Review: This is another book that was recommended to me by my sister (she has some good recommendations...). Other than the zombie aspect one of the biggest things that excited me about this book was that the main character was a political news blogger (I love politics). Georgia Mason is a dedicated worker who is always searching for the truth. I really admire this about her. She is tough but also caring, she a great role model for women.

I love this book because the characters are so interesting. The whole time I was reading this book I just kept wanting to learn more about everyone. (I was also scared of them dying but that's just part of the fun in reading a zombie book). Georgia's blogging team is complete with her adopted brother Shaun who is the risk taker of the group, and Georgette Meissonier (also known as Buffy) who is the tech expert who also writes love stories and poetry. Together the three make a great team and they end up getting chosen to follow Senator Peter Ryman's presidential campaign. Along the way Georgia's and her team Discover corruption from other candidates and they are determined to find out the truth even if it kills them.

One of the great things about this book is that there are blog entries throughout. Here is one of my favorites: 

"My name is Georgia Carolyn Mason. I am one of the Orphans of the Rising, the class of people who were under two years of age when the dead first started to walk. My biological family is presumably listed somewhere on The Wall, an anonymous footnote of a dead world. Their world died in the Rising. They didn’t live to see the new one. My adoptive parents have raised me to ask questions, understand the realities of my situation, and, in times of necessity, to shoot first. They have equipped me with the tools I need to survive, and I am grateful. Through this blog, I will do my best to share my experiences and opinions as openly and honestly as I can. It is the best way to honor the family that raised me; it is the only way I have to honor the family that lost me. I’m going to tell you the truth as I understand it. You can take it from there. —From Images May Disturb You, the blog of Georgia Mason, June 20, 2035."

Grant, Mira (2012-05-22). Blackout (The Newsflesh Trilogy) (p. 3). Hachette Book Group. Kindle Edition.

These blog entries are one of the reasons this book amazing. You don't only get Georgia's blog entries either. You also get them from Shaun and Buffy which I love because it's like peeking into their brain and finding out what they're really like and what they're thinking.

Mira Grant is an amazing author. She knows how to build a world effortlessly and she really makes you care about the people she's writing about. Mira Grant also writes other books under the name Seanan McGuire so if you like this book then you should definitely check out some of her other work.

No comments:

Post a Comment