Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Review: Life As We Knew It

Title: Life As We Knew It

Author: Susan Beth Pfeffer

Rating: 4 stars

The Blurb:
Miranda’s disbelief turns to fear in a split second when a meteor knocks the moon closer to the earth. How should her family prepare for the future when worldwide tsunamis wipe out the coasts, earthquakes rock the continents, and volcanic ash blocks out the sun? As summer turns to Arctic winter, Miranda, her two brothers, and their mother retreat to the unexpected safe haven of their sunroom, where they subsist on stockpiled food and limited water in the warmth of a wood-burning stove.

    

Told in journal entries, this is the heart-pounding story of Miranda’s struggle to hold on to the most important resource of all—hope—in an increasingly desperate and unfamiliar world.

Review: 
This book was a little slow starting for me at the very beginning but I think that had to do with me getting used to the story being told through the main characters diary.  It really started to pick up after the first 50 or so pages however and I really enjoyed it.  In the beginning the main character Miranda is your typical teenage girl with typical teenage girl problems (not being asked to prom, no money for skating lessons etc..). Everything changes when an asteroid hits the moon and throws it closer to the Earth. This causes tsunamis, earthquakes, and volcanic eruptions. I really loved how Miranda's mom reacted. She took charge and made sure to stock up on food and gas before everything got even crazier than they already were. She made sure her kids were safe and planned for months down the road. She really reminds me of my mom which is probably why she's my favorite character. Miranda honestly acts kind of incompetent during this phase. It was like she couldn't understand why her mom was so worried. Thankfully Miranda starts to mature throughout the book and does her best to help her family. Miranda's older brother Matt understands better than Miranda how important it was that their mom was able to get supplies that could help them survive. Miranda's younger brother Jonny doesn't really understand the severity of the situation until later on in the book. There is another great character named Mrs. Nessbit. she is an old woman who lived through WWII and the great depression. She is smart and unafraid of what the future holds.

 I didn't particularly like Miranda's friends Megan and Sammi; Megan is insanely religious and thinks that it's Gods plan for her to die. She literally starves herself because she believes that's what she's supposed to do.  Megan was really scary the majority of the time. Sammi isn't as bad as Megan. The main problem I had with her was that she left with a forty year old man who claimed he could protect her, and her parents were okay with it! They just let her go and that really angered me that they would let her go just because it would be easier for them not to have one more mouth to feed. If they truly cared about her they would've made her sta6y or gone with her.

This book really makes you think about what you would do in a situation like this. I really enjoyed the story, the characters, and the love this family had for one another that helps them keep hope for the future.

2 comments:

  1. I gave this book to my mom.. She preceeded to FREAK OUT and go shopping for non perishables immediately lol.. then asked me for the rest of the series! Loved it. Have you read Ashfall by Mike Mullen? If not you should seriously check it out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, that's what I felt like doing after I read this book too! I haven't read Ashfall but it looks like something that would be right up my alley thanks for the recommendation :)

      Delete