Thursday, January 31, 2013

My Thoughts On: Love Triangles

I've decided to talk about something today that is very prevalent in fiction today; love triangles. Love triangles are everywhere; in books, movies, even in real life. For the most part when it comes to love triangles i'm not a huge fan. I understand the purpose of love triangles is to create an obstacle for the main couple and I admit that they can be exciting, but sometimes they can go on for a bit too long and I just want the girl (or boy) to make a decision. If there is a love triangle in the book I'm reading (and let's be honest when is there ever not a love triangle) then as long as it is done well and doesn't consume the whole book I'm   okay with it and usually actually end up enjoying the drama t creates.

An example of an annoying love triangle is Twilight; the majority of that series was based on a love triangle (a really creepy love triangle). Bella spent a lot of time playing with these boys' hearts and honestly was kind of a jerk to both of them. I absolutely hate it in a book when a girl is stringing along two guys along and they just go with it like it's no big deal. At some point I want the guys to say "enough is enough, you've spent way too long thinking about this and we're not going to wait anymore so have fun being by yourself."


An example of a good love triangle is the Vampire Academy series; In this series Rose and Dimitri are obviously meant to be together. Sure there are different obstacles such as age, and duties to their jobs but you know in the end what will happen. So when the author threw in Adrian Ivashkov (swoon) it just added to the excitement and tension. The best part about this love triangle is that the fact that it didn't take over the series. There was still action and adventure, the love triangle just added more to the story.

The thing that makes a love triangle acceptable to me is if you can take that triangle away and the story is still good and can hold up without that drama. I don't think the love triangle should be the entire point of a story. Of course these are just my opinions and I'm open to hearing all different ideas so please feel free to comment and tell me what you think about love triangles :)



No comments:

Post a Comment